Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What's Another Birthday?

 What is a Birthday? 
From the writings of Emily Matthews

Dreaming big and reaching far,
Wishing on your own bright star,
Celebrating who you are-
that's what a birthday is.

Doing all your favorite things,
Touching all the joy life brings,
Hearing how each moment sings -
that's what a birthday is...

Setting this one day a part,
Looking deep within your heart,
Believing in a brand-new start -
that's what a birthday is.

The big 3-0!!!

My Aunt Rose sent me a card with this on it and it absolutely made my day!!  Can I just say, I LOVE getting stuff in the mail!!  I love checking the mail!  First thing I do is follow the mail man after he's delivered my mail for the day everyday!  Who doesn't like getting greetings in the mail! 

Well today on a day I leave my twenties  I did exactly all of these things!  I got to sleep in today one thing I love doing but don't do very often.  Then because I had run my long run last night, I decided to get the kids settled in their activities: Spence off to school, Drew doing his preschool, and Lila watching Ponyo.  Then I hit the bed, with my girl by my side, to rest my legs and watch a show with her while I started giving my thanks to all my Facebook peeps for the birthday wishes. That I've decided will have to be done in shifts:)  So many great friends who have given me a smile!  I think Facebook is definitely a plus on birthdays!  I mean really!  When we are adults birthdays aren't quite the same as they were when we were kids, but FB brings a little of that back don't cha think? Hehehehe... 

This has been the best month of my life!!  I celebrated 10 years of marriage to my sweet heart Dave!  Let me tell you what!  It has been one hell of a great up and down ride...mostly up ride!  I think I am more grateful for him now than I ever have been.  We have sure learned a lot about each other since we have moved here.  It has probably been the most beneficial thing we have done for our marriage!  Not really knowing we were actually doing anything for our marriage.  It has helped us grow closer as a couple and stronger as a family. Not just because of the move, but because what it has forced us to realize and work on.  I have sure learned a lot about what is really important in life.  I'm so grateful for him and for how he has helped me see so many things in a different light.  I have realized I am not so right all of the time.  And most of the time I need to let the pride go and leave the selfishness at the door.  He loves me for me and he always has regardless of what my old not so secure self has told myself.  I feel like the old not so secure self is a thing of the past.  And I can thank Dave for that! 
Here's a pic of us on our ten year anniversary!


Today I just looked at the laundry that needed folding and that is about it.  I despise folding laundry, so on this day, the day I join the big league 3-0 club...it can wait til tomorrow:)  Maybe the husband will even do it?  Hahahaha...ya right...I've learned they do things when you ask them too, not when you hint at them too;)

After I spent the day with the little kiddies playing outside and finishing the birthday cake. 

When Dave got home we headed to one of my faves...La Fra AKA La Frontera.  We all had ourselves the yummy smothered burritos! YU- UM!! I must say this day of turning 30 was actually quite nice!  We then came home and had cake and ice cream!! 




Note to self:  never give my children Sissy, sugar after 7 PM again!!!

They She was a real treat to put to bed to say the least.  But I must say she did say the sweetest prayer before bed.  Dave and I both were sad we didn't have it on film.  It was so so cute!!  I love how she says, "Plea bwess..."  After reading and prayers, I layed with the boys and tickled and scratched their backs as usual.  Love this time with my boys.  It is a time we talk and a time where they let me cuddle them.

After getting the kiddies to bed we watched a movie.  It was a lovely day that is for sure!!!

Dave got me a cute decoration for the kids to put their hand prints on.  I can't wait until it is done!!  The oldest wanted to give me his own gift, so he gave me a wrapped up paper and this is what was in it. 


So cute huh!!?  It was three dollars he had saved in his piggy bank.  Kids are the sweetest I tell you!

The second saw the gift and felt bad so Dave whipped up a few dollars he could give me too.  I just love these little bubby boys of mine!!

Onto a new decade of my life!!  Here's to enjoying the now and looking forward with hope for all the days to come!!

2 comments:

Jen Paris said...

you deserve the best! I love you Maranda! I'm so glad you had a fabulous day. And that you are so HAPPY! Welcome to the 30's. :)

Maren said...

May your next thirty years be even better than the last!
I'm glad you had a great day.
Also, Happy Anniversary to a great, great couple.