Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Baby Is a Wolf...And A Story To Remember

The White Tornado starts scouts now that he is the big 8!

Me taking a lot of pics to document his new fun adventure as a scout! 




And a shot of the group pulling their funny faces.
We walked to the church together, just Spence and I.  I was getting all choked up as we went.  My boy is growing up.  I know I say it all the time, but I just am a little sad with each milestone in his life.  He is becoming a little guy.  He is getting baptized on Saturday, and soon he will be a young man going on a mission and then a handsome fella ready to be married off. It just gets me...
  After I took all the pictures of him at scouts, I headed back for home.  I just started to cry.  Tears of happiness for my cute little guy, but tears of sadness too. Sadness that he is growing up way to fast and before I know it he will be out of the house and on his own.  Oh Spence I love you very much and hope as you read all of this stuff, you remember how sweet and special you are to me.

Love,

Mom

*A little story for your enjoyment...and believe me, it's only for your enjoyment, because I can tell you I definitely did not enjoy this:

So we head over to the scouts store to properly equip Spencer with all the right stuff on his first day as a wolf.  We enter the store and luckily we are the only customers.  The gal behind the counter is so sweet she says she'll help me gather all the stuff I need(I'm totally clueless as to what I need to buy...never been a scout and this is my first kid to enter scouts...)  Naturally, Drew is irritating Sissy and she starts to freak out and runs away from him.  He of course starts chasing her telling her, "Get back over here, you need to stay by Mom!!"  This only makes things worse, because now he is telling her what to do and with Sissy...you just can't do that if you are Andrew(he is the older pesky brother in her eyes) So she starts running away from him and it becomes a game of run around the store.  I try to stop her, but to avoid a complete meltdown from her, I let her run around since we are the only customers and heck, I should be in and outta there right?  I mean all I need is a shirt and a few little patches to sew on.  As I am figuring out which numbers I need to buy, I ask Spence to just check on Sissy to make sure she isn't causing any trouble.  He leaves me and walks over to where she is and with haste he returns to me and says, "Uhhhh, Mom, you better come check this out."  The scout employee looks at me and I Immediately think, "Oh great she's pulled everything off of the shelves."  So I excuse myself from the gal helping me and I head over to where she is.  I can see the look in her eyes.  She has done something naughty.  I get over to her, and I don't see anything at first, then I see it.  No those little pebbles on the floor on the aisle she is standing in aren't rocks, and neither are the pebbles in the aisle down yonder where she'd been running around.  Those rock looking pebble like things are really my worst nightmare...Poop!!!!!!  I was mortified!!!  I literally wasn't quite sure what to do next.  I knew there was probably more where that came from and I could see the at least a half a dozen up and down the aisle.  The cute little worker comes over to me(still not sure what has happened) and says, "Is everything alright?" I look at her, then look at the poop, then look at her again.  She is still clueless as to what is going on.  Then I say, "No, everything is not alright(nicely)...do you see those pebble looking things on the floor right there and there and there?  Those little pebble looking things aren't pebbles, they are my daughter's poop...yes every single one of them. I am so so sorry(profusely expressing my sincere apology all while trying not to cry of embarrassment), I will get this cleaned right up as soon as I get her to a restroom.  Do you have a restroom I can use?"

Yes, so there you have it.  My daughter pooped all over the scouts store.  After I got her cleaned up(luckily they were a bunch of little hard deer looking poops and there wasn't much of a mess in her panties, course it's probably because most of them fell out while she was on her rampage throughout the store!) I came out of the bathroom with several handfuls of paper towels ready to clean up the mess.  Well, that sweet gal had gone around and cleaned it up for me.  She was so sweet about it and didn't even seem bothered.  I literally was so thankful and just couldn't wait to get out of there.  I was so embarrassed and so upset with my kids. 

You can bet they all got a talking to about not running around the store! Not that I haven't given them the talk before, but I think somehow this experience will be ingrained in their heads and they just might not do that again;)

As for me, I called Dave in a rage and told him the whole story. 
Afterwards, we were heading back home and I just quietly cried to myself as I drove home trying not to let Spencer see me.  So pathetic I know, but I was so embarrassed and just so mad at Drew and Sissy for their behavior running around the store.  I was crying just thinking about how my kids were out of control and somehow I was feeling like a failure as a mother. 

But, now I can look back and take a deep breath and smile(just a little).  Kids will be kids.  I should have just put Sissy in a Pull Up.  Lesson learned.  Never go anywhere in public without a Pull Up on the kid!

2 comments:

Tori Bennett said...

Oh Maranda! We have all been there....well maybe not the scout store, but we've all had those mortifying mom moments. I hate to break it to you, but this probably won't be the end either! Just think of how funny it will be next week, next month, or next year. ( sometimes it takes a year to find the humor!).

And you know what? I think it not such a bad thing to let your kids see you cry. Sometimes it makes them realize just how disappointed/hurt/upset you really are. 13 years later Megan still remembers me breaking down in tears after repeated struggles with making her socks have no "bumps". In my own defense I was probably pregnant, but still she remembered and tried everyday not to have a meltdown because it made mom sad.

All the fun things you get to do and learn as a mom :)

Maranda said...

Thanks Tori!! Seriously, I think you are right about the crying thing. The kids were the best they'd been in a long time after they saw me crying. Maybe I ought to master a fake cry to get them to do what I want hehehe j/k