Monday, June 13, 2011

Utah Valley Marathon!!

So the night before, we headed to Red Robin for some good eats and then headed for Provo, where we stayed at Aimee's parents house, just two blocks from where the buses were picking all the runners up.  We got to bed around 10:30ish and let me tell ya, it was a nervous sleep.  The alarm at 2:50 am came way too quickly!!  Lucky for us Aimee's dad dropped us off at the buses so we didn't have to deal with parking:)
A pre pic of Aims and I before we loaded the buses.

That smile is because I was almost done!!   At this point in the marathon, I was getting my last burst of energy right before the finish.  I think having Dave cheer me on and all the rest of the crowd cheering for all of the runners helped with that too!

This pic reminds me of what I was feeling like around mile seventeen.  I was mentally feeling like I could no longer keep my pace of 8:22.  I fell back off of the pacer at this point as I was beginning to tell myself I couldn't do it for another 9 miles.  Then like a switch my mind said, "Yes you can!! Stop talking like this and step it up girl!!"  And I did.  When I look back at my splits, my seventeenth mile was an 8:44 and then the next three were right back down at or below my 8:22 target pace.  I wasn't able to hold that pace after the 20th mile though...maybe next time:)



All of these shots were along the course when I had about a mile left.  I was in some serious pain.  My legs were so tired, but there was no question about finishing the race.  I knew I was almost done!!  I was so excited when I saw the crowd and the big blow up finish line way ahead.  My speed quickened at the thought of being done!!

Here's Aim's on her way in to the finish line!!  She did awesome!  She qualified for Boston!!!  If only I had stayed with her maybe I would be celebrating the same thing!!  Dang!  All I have to do now is train harder and hopefully avoid any injuries so I can make it my goal for the St. George marathon!

In route to the finish!! 

Aim's and I after we finished!!

The way I look here, is exactly the way I felt, completely exhausted!!

My friend Jess brought Aimee and I pretty flowers after our race!  It was seriously the nicest thing!  She came all the way up there just to show her support for us!

Dave seriously had to put up with all the training that went into this marathon!  He is so great.  He didn't complain(a whole lot) about it and was very supportive.  I am thankful to have him and thankful he was as supportive as he has been!  Thank you!  Thank you mi amor!!  

You know, training for a marathon is a lot of work.  But in the end, it all works out and I feel like it was worth it!!  I don't know how to describe the feeling I was having as I was about to finish 26.2 freaking miles!!  It is an awesome feeling is all I can say!!  I am thankful my body can do this and I am thankful I have been able to experience this!  This race experience was such a great one!!  I am so proud of myself for doing it!  I was so happy to have perfect weather, no wind or sand blowing in my face, and to have beautiful scenery to make it a lovely run! 

Now, I am feeling the after pain of running 26.2 freaking miles.  My body is stiff, my foot hurts, and I walk like I'm ninety!  I was hoping I could avoid any problems with my foot, but I am afraid the pain is back.  I had taken 6 weeks off of my training some of Feb and all of March for this marathon due to a stress fracture in my foot and I'm afraid it might be back :(  So I will be resting it a while and then, onto training for the St. George Marathon!!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Way to go Maranda! That is a seriously huge accomplishment!...and something I can't even fathom right now as I get winded walking down the street. ;)

Maranda said...

Hahaha...I think you have a good excuse though! But hey, when you're done having a baby I'll take a running buddy any day!! ;)

Jess said...

I hope you are feeling better, lady. You are going to rock the STGM!